This month Chance and I have finally been able to make our "strict" budget since the move and change of income. We had unexpected costs when we first moved (truck breaking down, etc.) so now at last we get to stick with something...while the unplanned things always happen now we have a "plan" for that!
This leads to my "Thankful Thursday", I am thankful for a money conscience husband. Chance and I both really love to make budgets and this was a blessings since money is literally the only thing I ever "stress" over...if you could even call it that since I'm not much of a worry wart :D
All of that to say I really felt like I could take $50 a week to the grocery store and make it stretch for our grocery budget. I realize this sounds easy to some and hard to others but I'm taking it as a challenge and today was my first weeks stop!
I made sure to browse up and down the shelves for the best deal and ended up checking out at $50.80 (good thing I brought those reusable bags for discount:). After reading a few budget grocery plans I stuck to meat that was on sale ONLY and bought the majority of my months meat this week to be placed in the deep freeze.
I started with toilet paper and dish soap, the only two "other" items I needed. Then I got to the fun stuff.
Albertsons ended up being JACKPOT for meat because it is buy one get one free on select cuts and meats. I came out with:
Thin Cut Steaks (2lbs.) Pricey but planning for company
Ground Beef (3lbs.) Can divide into 3 1lb. bundles for spaghetti, burgers, tacos, etc.
2lb. pork shoulders One of which is in the slow cooker now for pulled pork sandwiches!
Boudin Just because it goes with all things grilling!
This was accompanied by a few sides like rice, spaghetti noodles and pasta sauce to pair with the meats. Also grabbed cheese and bread for grilled cheese lunches and splurged on Pringles to go with that:)
Like I said this may be easy to some and if it is for you PLEASE share your secrets, I LOVE a challenge that saves money!
Here's to eating all month long!!
I hope you got some veggies too! $50 a week sounds pretty reasonable to me!
ReplyDelete